Implanted microchips have become a major topic of discussion and debate nowadays especially after the incident regarding the Wisconsin based company Three Square Market. This company offered their employees a certain amount of money for implanting microchip under their skin voluntarily. The incident created mayhem on the internet due to the ethical conundrum it exhibited. However, it is undeniable that the more we are progressing, the more we are becoming dependent on technology and to cope up with this digitally advanced world, the implementation of this device for employee monitoring and other purposes is inevitable. Here, a few aspects of these microchip implants would be discussed in order to make you familiar with this new and innovative device.
The Technology behind Microchip Implants:
These devices are usually shaped like cylinders and they come with a microchip made of compounds like epoxy resin. Within these chips, you would find a lead-free borosilicate glass encased copper antenna coil. Sometimes Schott biocompatible glass is also used rather than the borosilicate glass. Because of the fact that all of these devices are field-powered, they do not require any battery or energy source. With the help of these implants, you would be able to track a certain person within a specific electromagnetic field.
Most of the microchip implants fall under the umbrella category of Radio Frequency Identification or RFID. They contain a unique identification number which can be used for accessing multifarious information such as extensive medical history including medications, allergies, chronic ailments, etc., personal identification, contact information, law enforcement, and many more.
Probable Usage of Implanted Microchips in a Workplace for Employee Monitoring:
These microchips can be used for several purposes in a workplace including:
- Work time tracking: It is probably the simplest application of this device in the workplace. Once this device is implanted in the sub-dermal region, as an employer you would be able to track every movement of your employees within the office. This would help you to get a clear idea about how much time a particular employee is giving behind his/her work rather than taking breaks. Also, because of the fact that these chips are all linked with the personal computers of the employees, you would be able to accurately monitor the progress in work as well.
- Increasing coordination: As you are able to see track all of your employees all the time, it would be easy for you to administer them and increase the coordination among them. The real-time information would help you devise a failsafe working strategy that would ensure the active participation of every employee and escalate the overall productivity. Also, it would help you detect any sort of miscommunication among your employees that can ruin the harmony of your workplace.
- Ensuring the safety of a particular asset: If a certain employee is entrusted with a valuable asset to take care of or to deliver, these devices would help you in ensuring the asset’s safety. One of the main characteristics of these chips is that every one of them comes with a unique identification code. So, if you give the responsibility of a product to a particular employee, only s/he would have the access to maintain and deliver the product safely to a particular destination.
- Safety of the employee: These implants can also be used for ensuring the safety of your employees as they come with a distress signal that can be sent to the office by the employee in case any undesirable situation arrives. These chips also contain all the necessary information of the employees which would assist in bringing necessary help as quickly as possible for any sort of predicament.
- Optimisation of expenses and time: As mentioned earlier, these devices do not require any power source or battery to be functional. As a result, once they’re implanted, there is absolutely nothing to worry about their maintenance. This mitigates the amount of expenses behind tracking or monitoring devices. Also, with microchip implants, you wouldn’t need to keep a register to check the number of employees present and absent on a particular workday because they are linked with every personal computer and access control system within your office. This saves a significant amount of unnecessary wastage of time.
- Convenience and security: By linking with the information put into the microchip implant, checking in and switching on the machines would become a cakewalk. Also, with this system, every individual would be able to use their computer exclusively thereby reducing the security risk. This would also help in figuring out the possible source of leakage of valuable information through constant monitoring.
The reason that this employee monitoring system has still not been vastly implemented across the world is because of the breach of privacy and possible health hazards. Still, the efficacy of these devices is clearly incontrovertible and with proper usage they can effectively change the face of the entire corporate world.