In the 21st century, the importance of mobile apps in our daily life is undeniable. Nowadays, the availability of mobile apps is increasing because of the changes they bring to everyday life. The credit of course goes to modern app developers who are constantly working to bring us new and innovative apps so that daily tasks like exercising and tracking health records become easier. Just like other GPS apps, the advantages of fitness apps are widely known and appreciated. Research has shown that fitness apps, for example running apps, track behavioral changes so that the potential for physical activity can be gradually increased.
These days, people are becoming more and more health conscious. They want and need to get into shape and want to stay healthy. It is an undeniable fact that regular exercise helps to guard against obesity, diabetes and numerous other heart and health problems. But the days of wasting money on gym membership in the fight for a healthy lifestyle are numbered. Installing a fitness app on your mobile – a running app to be more specific – should be the first step you take toward a healthier life. We all know the health benefits of running but with the help of these apps we can now record our exercise down to the number of steps taken per day. These apps can check heart rate against workout data. GPS-enabled running apps also provide some added facilities like mapping your route and automatic pausing. GPS- enabled running apps help to keep track of your daily routine and like a proper trainer can encourage you to go that extra mile. There are several advantages and also some disadvantages to using GPS-enabled running apps.
Some of the most important advantages of using GPS running apps are discussed below:
Motivation to run better
Motivation plays an important role for anyone working to establish and maintain an exercise regime. Like a proper trainer GPS running apps motivate you to do better, so that you can achieve your targeted results in time. Some of the details are illustrated below:-
- Motivation can be illusive when working alone. GPS running apps can help with this, they motivate by encouraging you to better your previous days performance.
- Some of the more efficient running apps come with the innovative feature of a customizable virtual pacer so you can easily track your previous performances and do better.
- You can also avail of a 24/7 activity tracking mode that monitors your steps and the calories you burn every day.
- GPS running apps also send you alerts if you have been stationary for a long period of time.
Tracking your progress
To give a better performance it is very important to track your previous records. GPS running apps do exactly this. The details are discussed below –
- GPS running apps help you to do better by monitoring your training and tracking the details of your runs. It helps to see your current status so that you can change your performance level based on up to the minute reports.
- Some of the GPS running apps available have a feature that provides you with the correct image of your energy losses throughout the day.
- Lap alerts provided by the GPS tracking app help you to achieve your target pace in training.
Real time tracking features
Many popular GPS running apps provide you with run or walk alerts so that you can easily access detailed statistics like your pace, heart rate and distance travelled. The details are discussed below:-
- Many GPS running apps provide you with great safety features like sharing your location with family and friends
- GPS running apps also enable you to share your data with friends using the same app. So that you can engage in healthy competition.
However, there are few risk factors of using GPS running apps –
GPS running apps collect private data, this does involve some risk –
- Many GPS running apps come with inbuilt privacy settings, despite this the personal details of the user (tracking details, for example) are not completely secure.
- Some apps in fact do not properly configure the privacy settings and therefore the user’s personal details could be easily stolen.
- To make sure that your personal data remains secure you must always use a strong password, but this is not a definitive guarantee.
Therefore, it is always advisable to use GPS running apps that have the most up to date security management features available.